Safety Training Course
This course helps to fulfill the Coaches Safety Education requirement for USA Swimming and Y USA with a 2 year certification. Prerequisites: Must be at least 15 years of age by the end of the course and must be comfortable in chest-deep water.
The Safety Training for Swim Coaches course offers up-to-date content on safe sport policies, emergency planning and first aid, including:
- Maintaining a comfortable and safe environment for swimmers
- Preventing accidents and emergencies
- Responding to ill or injured swimmers in water or on land
***This course includes both an online portion and an in-water skills session.
Step 1: Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content:
Individuals who are interested in taking Safety Training for Swim Coaches should complete the Safety Training for Swim Coaches – Online Content Only course. This course includes web-based delivery of content and an online exam.
Step 2: In-Water Skills Verification:
National coaching governing bodies including USA Swimming and Y USA require swim coaches to demonstrate in-water skills. The following Red Cross courses meet the skills verification requirement for these organizations:
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding
- Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches In-Water Skills Session